Authors: Michael Moodie1, Charlton Jeisman1 and Ray Correll2
1Frontier Farming Systems and 2RHO Environmetrics
Funded By: South Australian Grain Industry Trust
Project Title: Investigating frost susceptibility on Clearfield® varieties treated with imidazolinone herbicide
Peer Review: Kenton Porker (SARDI)
Key Words: Frost, Wheat, Barley, Clearfield
- There were high levels of floret loss with 32% of barley and 70% of wheat florets sterile across all sowing times.
- Overall the Clearfield system (variety + imidazolinone herbicide) resulted in 5.75% greater floret sterility than the conventional varieties.
- Sowing time had the greatest influence on floret sterility with up to 50% less frost damage in some wheat varieties through delaying sowing until mid-May.
- Wheat yields were maximised by a mid-May sowing in this trial while barley yields were better with earlier sowing dates.
- Frost restricted lentil yields by 20-35% however Clearfield lentil varieties tended to suffer less frost damage than conventional lentil varieties.